Friday, March 17, 2006

Hoops and Cookies


This could quite possibly be the best time of the year. March Madness and Girl Scout Cookies!


On the basketball side, I haven't been able to see much of the games. G got back from NY last night, and we played with Benny. Well, we also saw My Name Is Earl, and The Office (the best sitcom on TV, in my opinion). Come to think of it, "we" is a bit too strong. G was on a conference call most of this time. No rest for the weary.

Last night beheld a beautiful sight. I was carrying Benny to the coatrack at the front door, and spied my Uniformed Cookie Dealer coming up the sidewalk with my addiction in hand. Her watchful mom was riding shotgun, braving the chilly wind with red wagon in tow (Chock full of cookie boxes, I might add).

Our reunion was bittersweet. Thin Mints? Yesssss (doing my best Napoleon Dynamite) Peanut Butter Cookies? .....wait, these were the wrong kind. It CAN'T be. I wanted the kind with actual peanut butter, covered with chocolate. Not these Hydrox knock-offs. I was, however, strong. The young Cookie Pimp did not see me produce the tear that was shed. I gave her the $ and she was gone in a flash. Probably with a sadistic smile in the knowledge she has another sucker hooked on the good stuff.

Not much for self-restraint when it comes to Girl Scout cookies, I am trying to be better this year. Last night I only ate 1/2 sleeve of Thin Mints! And in spite of the sorrow over the incorrect cookies, I had 4.

Self restraint is very subjective.

On another note, on Wednesday we housed 4 guys from the Okla Christian Chorale. They were in town for a concert. As we were talking, it became clear that we had something in common-Kappa Sigma Tau. They were all inquisitive about the Kappa traditions, and what we did back in the day. Needless to say, things have changed. They didn't know about the "Hylt of the Year" award, the Chuck Taylor tennis shoes. They did think that our Spring Sing rendition of "Cats" sounded classic (although I did not go into the fact that we were robbed by Theta that year).

Looking back it makes sense we couldn't quite connect the common dots-those 4 guys were born when I was in Kappa. I don't feel old, but it sure puts the passage of time into some sort of perspective. All I know is that when I woke them up yesterday-both bedrooms smelled like dormrooms! I prefer the smell of diapers.

No comments: