Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Here are a few verses I have been dwelling on:

Ephesians 5:19 Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord

Proverbs 3:9 Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the firstfruits of ALL your crops

----------------
10 years ago last month I moved out to Colorado. Geri followed me out after we got married. My excuse was simple. I had to be near the mountains. There was an itch in my soul needing to be scratched. Now that we have moved away, I find myself being pulled back to visit for an entirely different reason. We managed to befriend some great people out there. Sure the mountains are nice, but you can't have a relationship with a mound of dirt and rocks.

For someone who has confessed in the past not to like change, I think change is a good thing. For starters migrating from OK to CO to MO has brought about many good friendships. I like to think about our friend Edith in OKC. She died not long after our wedding, but she was a great friend to us despite a significant age gap. I also think about Barbara in Golden. She was the friend of a funny lady (Tootie), who started bringing her to church. She was divorced (I think), retired, and a bit rough around the edges. Her and Tootie lived at the trailer park down the road. She had a love for golf and had a great laugh. I believe she had cancer, but that didn't quash her spirit. The most important part of her story is that she became a Christian not too long before she passed away. We still have a driver she gave to Geri. I'm sure it saw better days when Barb was playing with it. This brings me back to Tootie. She was funny without even knowing it. Geri remembers her saying: "I don't know why they started calling me "Tootie"...when I was a kid, I had a dog named Tootie!".

We don't have plans on moving, but here is our family motto:

If you hate where you came from, you won't like where you are going.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I beleive your cousins writing skills have rubbed off on you. I for one am glad you moved to St Louis.
Ed