Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Basketball Diaries

Many of my friends are passionate about basketball. I am not. In college they played in "The barn", or on Kappa's A Team . It is not that I don't like to play hoops, but am more a fan of individualized pursuits like skiing or hiking. My oncourt strategy was usually to run around and tire out the unfortunate guy guarding me (ie: being paired up with Travis at North MacArthur in the 90's).

After years of playing marginal at best, I decided to try and elevate my "game" on Monday nights at the church building. I did two things:
1. Watch ESPN to see what the players do.
and
2. Keep reciting in my mind the words of John Wooden as I am playing (Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming).

Admittedly my game still stinks, but I am having a great time (which is unique when playing hoops) because I am trying to do my best in my capabilities.

No comments: