Sunday, January 16, 2005

De(a)dication

Last night was the final dinner to cap off the annual Edward Jones General Partners meetings. There were quite a few folks retiring, and the usual honors were bestowed. That is except one. Darryl Pope. I do not claim to know him, and have only met him on a handful of occasions.

Darryl has had a great career with EDJ, that spanned over 40 years. He started at the mailroom, as the 37th (or around there) employee. Today there are almost 30,000! While he sent his children to college, he himself did not have a college education. Last night, Maryville University presented him with a Doctorate of Laws. I was inspired at his contributions over the years to not only EDJ, but with the University, and to his family.

It has taken me almost 40 years to realize it isn't what you know, or who you know that makes a profound difference. It is dedication. This can only be recognized through the passage of time, and through alot of "mundane". I am inspired to not be dead-icated--that is to have interests of a passive nature, but to be dedicated in an active way. I want to be more dedicated to my God and my wife. I want to channel this to be a very passionate person, that affects!

No comments: