Thursday, April 14, 2005

Ramblin' Thought For The Day

I'm reading a book by one of the funniest guys I know, Terry Bradshaw. What drew me to his book is that it is his "coming out" party with respect to his struggles with Depression and ADD. This is something that has both plagued and enhanced his life.

I feel a kindred spirit with Terry. No, I am not an All American QB. I was also diagnosed with depression and ADD. (Master of the obvious, and much to no ones suprise) I do not struggle in the least with depression anymore. After taking the usual drugs @ 4 years ago, something kickstarted my brain chemistry (I guess). No more drugs needed, no more depression. Kaput.

I am comfortable with the fact I am quite ADD. I think it sparks a creativity that otherwise wouldn't be tapped into. When I was seeing Dr Miller about how to deal with this, he explained that caffeine acts as a "lubricant" with folks like me. Ironically it normalizes and slows things down just a bit. This probably explains why I can drink a pot of coffee before bed without thinking about it. Of course this also explains why I need to use rubber sheets (just kidding).

My point is that it is a blessing when you come to grips with, and accept who you are. This applies if you have ADD, depression, a big nose, skinny legs, a peanut head, and webbed toes (guilty on all counts but one-thanks to surgery). After all, it's not about who you are, but whose you are!

On another random note. We have a funny neice (Abby) in OKC that wanted to see if it would be OK to call our son "Bennie Boy". I told her it would be alright, but only if GG and I could call her "Pedro"--a moniker she doesn't particularly like. After much thought on her part, we struck an agreement. I love conversations like that. Darrel and Leslie have done a great job with instilling a good sense of humor in those girls. Hopefully we can do the same with Bennie Boy.

1 comment:

Leann said...

I enjoyed reading your post today. I happened across it and will add it to my favorites.
My son has ADD and I've tried for years to get him to see it's a plus not a hinderance. He is much more creative than the rest of us.
He can also drink one of the highest caffeine content drinks out there and then drop into a dead sleep. Amazing! His "shrink" called it self medicating. I guess so!
Thanks again
Leann